Last weekend I was near the coast with my daughter and love. It was a hot and windy day, AND a spring holiday  AND just at the start of more freedom after corona. The coast was the place to be for, it seemed like, all of the Netherlands and Germany as well. We were on our way to some ice cream, walking on a wide, hot dessert of asphalt, crowded with campers and cars and with a blue sea on our right hand when I got stabbed in my right lower belly with a long and very sharp knitting needle. Or so it felt.

It stopped me in my tracks and literally took my breath away. My daughter called back to me if I had stubbed my toe or something. But I didn’t, couldn’t really respond and when they reached me I sat down on the asphalt with my ears ringing and numbing at the same time, my sight blackening out and nausea rising upwards through my body. Most of the pain had passed after a few minutes. But the next 30 or 45 minutes or so went like this. When I had sat down for a while or lain down on my back on the street I started to feel somewhat better. Then I would stand up and the whole, I am going to faint business started back up again. My usually firm bone and muscle structure felt like jelly. My love got the car and I sat down in the front seat, waiting for the latest wave of faintness and nausea to pass. When he and my daughter started investigating my lower belly, gently prodding it a bit, seeing if there were any signs visible of internal bleeding or so I got so sick I asked for a sick bag, which I didn’t end up needing. When I was up to talking again we decide that we wanted to call a GP and discuss whether it would be wise to have me checked. I am normally a fit person, exercise quite a lot, have a healthy weight and apart from a burn-out some years ago and it’s lingering aftermath of energy management issues I hardly have had anything wrong with my body . And I have never ever fainted in my life. They asked me to come over. When I got out of the car at the GP post I noticed walking didn’t push me near fainting as it had before. Just wanted to sit down after 20 meters but that was all. The GP and a trainee GP investigated me with all the usual rituals and finally concluded that this must be hormonal. It was the 14th day of my cycle and this was most probably ovulation! Geez, I never knew ovulation could show up as such violence! They visibly relaxed when they came to this conclusion and I recalled to them the strangeness that had happened in my body during the ovulation before this one (about which more in another story). These were menopause symptoms. She told me about a woman they had once diagnosed as possibly having an acute appendix infection who, they found out in time, was also severely troubled by menopause symptoms. The GP thought that the almost fainting was probably a shock reaction of my body to the sharp and strong pain.

I can tell you I was very relieved to shelf this whole story in the drawer of menopause symptoms and so were my love and daughter.
This whole episode maybe took 2 or 3 hours. Some time after the end of it I felt well enough to drive myself back home for 1,5 hours. It seems silly to go to the GP on emergency duty (on a Saturday, 90 kilometres away from home) for experiencing ovulation. But I am very glad I did. I know now that if I had waited an hour or more my body would most probably have recovered all by itself, like it did. But I still would have the fear and worry in my system caused by being ignorant about what had the hell had happened.